Home Social Services Our Staff Write Us Find Us Local Resources Web Links

Social Housing:

refers to rental housing developed with the assistance of government and subsidized by Municipal and Federal government for people with low to moderate incomes, seniors, or people with special needs who can live, with support, in the community. The Housing Corporation is responsible for administering Social Housing Program requirements and funding in Lennox & Addington and Prince Edward Counties for:

305 rent-geared-to-income apartments

30 rent-geared-to-income rowhouses

15 rent-geared-to-income duplexes

4 rent-geared-to-income scattered houses



You can apply for social housing by completing and filling an application. Applications are available for pick-up at the Social Housing Registry office, Housing Corporation, Social Services offices, from this website or call us and we will mail one to you. Staff will be happy to assist you in completing an application at our office or answer your questions over the telephone. Completed applications can be dropped off at our office or mailed in.

The Social Housing Registry is a centralized system of managing the wait list of all eligible applications for rent geared to income assistance. Currently there is a waiting list for social housing in Napanee and Picton. You will be placed on the waiting list once you have submitted a complete application and have been determined eligible for social housing. Because of the high demand for subsidized housing the wait may take years.

Your application will be returned if your forms are not completely filled out or if any necessary documents are missing. You will not be placed on the waiting list until your application is complete.


Non-Profit Housing:

refers to housing owned and managed by local non-profit housing corporations.  Non-profit housing providers accommodate a range of households including families, seniors, singles and couples requiring rental assistance, as well households paying the full market rent.


Local Housing Corporations:

are owned and managed by Service Managers - the local government body responsible for housing, social welfare and ambulance services. Until 2001, Local Housing Corporations were owned by the provincial government and called "public housing." Some municipal non-profit housing corporations (MNP) have been amalgamated with LHCs whereas some have remained separate.

Tenant households:

are typically a mix of seniors, families, and others (singles and couples). There are non-profits and co-operatives built for young single mothers, for people who are hard-to-house or who are homeless, for seniors. Some residents receive support care services that allow them to live independently or to build life skills. Some nonprofits and co-operatives have some units that are modified for accessibility.

Public Housing:

refers to housing owned by the Municipality (formerly the Provincial Government) and managed by Local Housing Corporations. The majority of residents pay rents based on their income.

Rent Supplement:

Under current programs, private market landlords have agreements with PELASS to lease apartment units in their buildings. Under rent supplement, the tenant pays the rent-geared-to-income directly to the landlord each month, and PELASS pays the difference between the tenants' rent and the full market rent. Tenants for these units are selected by referrals made from PELASS to the rent supplement landlord from the internal transfer list and the centralized waiting list of PELASS.

The following are the rent supplement units owned and managed by Private Landlords, currently available only in Lennox & Addington County. These Landlords have signed agreements with Prince Edward-Lennox & Addington Housing Corporation. - 18 rent-geared-to-income Rent Supplement apartments - 10 two bdrm (8) Napanee (2) Amherstview - 8 one bdrm (6) Napanee (2) Amherstview

Rent Calculation:

geared-to-income rents are based on 30 percent of gross household income with a minimal utility charge. In some cases, the gross income used to calculate rent is reduced to reflect specific expenses for dependants, employment, disability and education.

Social Housing Tenants:

Are required to meet minimum eligibility criteria set by the Province and the local Service Manager. • Must comply with the local application and waiting list rules set out by the Service Manager. • Must provide documentation required by the Service Manager for the purpose of determining initial and ongoing eligibility for Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) subsidy assistance. • Have their RGI rent calculated in accordance with the SHRA’s(Social Housing Reform Act) rules. • Are provided assurances that the personal information collected by Service Managers and housing providers to determine eligibility will be kept secure.



To apply for Social Housing, please contact:

Social Housing Registry - Centralized Wait List

97 Thomas Street East County Courthouse Napanee ON K7R 4B9

613-354-3364 ext 510 or toll free at 1-866-354-3364 ext 510


Prince Edward Lennox & Addington Social Services - Social Housing

13 Market Square Napanee ON K7R 1J4

613-354-5695 or toll free at 1-866-806-9680

Social Housing Links:


Social Housing Reform Act


Residential Tenancy Act


Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing


Employment Insurance


Ontario Disability Support Program


Social Services


Immigration Act (Canada)


Legal Aid Ontario


Community Advocacy & Legal Centre (Belleville)


If you are seeking information regarding tenant and landlord rights and information, please contact:

1. The Landlord and Tenant Board www.ltb.gov.on.ca or call 1-888-332-3234

2. The Ontario Human Rights Commission, www.ohrc.on.ca or call 1-800-387-9080

3. The Canadian Human Rights Commission, http://www.chrc-ccdp.ca/about/default-en.asp or call 1-888-214-1090.

Housing Subsidy

Housing Frequently Asked Questions




 Copyright © 2002 PELASS. All rights reserved.